Listen to the Podcast:
Rob Cesternino and Rich Tackenberg recap the latest episode of Saturday Night Live hosted by Jim Parsons. Join us LIVE to ask us your questions after the episode
Things that Worked (the short list):
- Rob liked the Bird Bible sketch for Kate McKinnon, Mike O’Brien and baby Jesus hatching from an egg
- Rich got “Tonked” by Tonk
- Rob thought that the “12 Years a Slave” Auditions were funny
- Both Rob and Rich are becoming smitten by Cecily Strong on Weekend Update
- Jebediah Atkinson performed well again, after having a few months in between appearances rather than just 2 weeks.
Things that Didn’t Work (a longer list):
- Rob thought the cold open with Ellen was a bit of a throwaway
- Rob and Rich didn’t understand why they chose most of the TV characters that appeared in the monologue
- Rich didn’t like the Murder Mystery sketch (though Rob was amused by the antics of Simply Dudley)
- Rob didn’t know how the elevator sketch got on the air
- While Rich appreciated Jay Pharoah as Shaquille O’neal, Charles Barkley is one of Keenan’s worst characters
- Rich really hated the Cowboys birthday sketch which closed out the show.
Overall, it was a very uneven episode to start the Colin Jost era on SNL, though his performance on weekend update got better as it wen’t along.
Join us back next week when we recap the March 8th edition of Saturday Night Live hosted by Lena Dunham with musical guest, The National.
Sketches Discussed in this Episode:
THE ELLEN DEGENERES SHOW COLD OPEN
JIM PARSONS MONOLOGUE
DANCE FLOOR KILLER
12 YEARS AUDITION
BECK “Blue Moon”
WEEKEND UPDATE: JEBEDIAH ATKINSON
WEEKEND UPDATE: CHARLES BARKLEY AND SHAQUILLE O’NEAL
SPOTLIGHTZ ACTING CAMP