Lost: Down the Hatch | Season 3 Episode 9: “Stranger in a Strange Land”
This week on Down the Hatch, it’s all about Jack’s tattoos. That’s right, we have finally arrived: “Stranger in a Strange Land,” widely considered the single worst episode in the entirety of “Lost.” But is it the worst? Is that just a cool thing to say about an episode that has (at least some) merit? Josh and Mike explore!
About Down the Hatch …
LOST: Down the Hatch is a full-tilt spoiler-filled rewatch of LOST. Every week, Josh and Mike break down an episode of LOST with the benefit of knowing the series’ full trajectory, using the following structure as a guide:
- We Go “Fourth” – Josh and Mike begin each podcast with a deep-dive into the story both in front of and behind the camera, and they do so with the assistance of eight sound clips from each episode.
- The Others – Josh and Mike answer questions sent their way by listeners through the official e-mail address: [email protected]
- 23 Points – Each week, Josh and Mike hand out points for the best and worst characters of the episode in question, in a foolhardy attempt to determine the most and least valuable players in the LOST pantheon.
- 4.2 Stars – Josh and Mike rank every episode of LOST, by rating them all on a scale from 0 – 4.2. Josh and Mike offer their individual scores, listeners’ scores will be averaged as a third data point, then the three points combine as the podcast’s official score on each episode.
Additional reading/listening/viewing from the podcast:
- Support Post Show Recaps through Patreon
- The LOST: Down the HatchWikipedia Page
- Josh’s LOST Episode Rankings on The Hollywood Reporter
- Javier Grillo Marxuach’s Lost Will and Testament
- The Storm’s Bai Ling Interview
- Jim Fels music analysis
The 2/3 MVP/LVP Points For Season 3:
The Marshal: 1
Richard Alpert: 1
The Others: -1
Red Shoes: -1
Law + Order: -1
Polar Bears: -1
The 4.2 Star Episode Rankings For Season 3:
- Flashes Before Your Eyes – 4.16
- The Cost of Living – 3.92
- A Tale of Two Cities – 3.83
- Not in Portland – 3.74
- I Do – 3.45
- Every Man For Himself – 3.14
- The Glass Ballerina – 3.02
- Further Instructions – 2.48
- Stranger in a Strange Land – 1.85
Mike Bloom’s 4.2 Star Episode Ranking Rubrik
4.2 – Perfect episode of LOST. Firing on all cylinders, no real weak points
4.0-4.1 – Near-perfect episode of LOST. Has one or two minor things that are meh or weak.
3.7-3.9 – Awesome episode of LOST. Has one or two major things that are meh or weak.
3.3-3.6 – Great episode of LOST. Many great elements, but not enough to put it in the top tier
3.0-3.2 – Good episode of LOST. More good than bad, but not a lot of outstanding moments
2.5-2.9 – Below average episode of LOST. Has a few redeeming moments, but a lot of misses as well
2.0-2.4 – Dud episode of LOST. The good stuff is few and far between
< 2.0 – Bad episode of LOST. Nearly all of it doesn’t work
Josh Wigler’s 4.2 Star Episode Ranking Rubrik
Insert question mark here.