Lost: Down the Hatch | Season 6 Prologue: ‘Across the Sea’
Yes, you read that right: Josh Wigler (@roundhoward) and Mike Bloom (@AMikeBloomType) are entering the final season of LOST, and they’re starting things off with an out-of-order recap of “Across the Sea.”
In “Across the Sea,” LOST presents one of its most controversial hours ever, giving the viewer a look at a long time ago when Jacob and the Man in Black were young and ignorant to the ways of the island. It’s a controversial episode for Down the Hatch, too, as the podcast is covering “Across the Sea” much earlier than its official placement in the LOST canon. But Josh and Mike believe “Across the Sea” is better served as a final season prologue than as the antepenultimate episode of the series, so here we are!
This week on the podcast, Josh and Mike get into their divisive choice to discuss “Across the Sea” as their first episode of season six, the themes it posits for the rest of the story, why Mother just might be the worst character in the show, and much more.
About Down the Hatch …
LOST: Down the Hatch is a full-tilt spoiler-filled rewatch of LOST. Every week, Josh and Mike break down an episode of LOST with the benefit of knowing the series’ full trajectory, using the following structure as a guide:
• We Go “Fourth” – Josh and Mike begin each podcast with a deep-dive into the story both in front of and behind the camera, and they do so with the assistance of eight sound clips from each episode.
• The Others – Josh and Mike answer questions sent their way by listeners through the official e-mail address: [email protected]
• 23 Points – Each week, Josh and Mike hand out points for the best and worst characters of the episode in question, in a foolhardy attempt to determine the most and least valuable players in the LOST pantheon.
• 4.2 Stars – Josh and Mike rank every episode of LOST, by rating them all on a scale from 0 – 4.2. Josh and Mike offer their individual scores, listeners’ scores will be averaged as a third data point, then the three points combine as the podcast’s official score on each episode.
Additional reading/listening/viewing from the podcast:
• Support Post Show Recaps through Patreon
• The LOST: Down the Hatch Wikipedia Page
• Josh’s LOST Episode Rankings on The Hollywood Reporter
• Javier Grillo Marxuach’s Lost Will and Testament
• Jim Fels music analysis
The 23 MVP/LVP Points for Season 6
Smoke Monster: 3
John Locke: 1
The 4.2 Star Episode Rankings for Season 6:
Across the Sea – 2.38