Lost: Down the Hatch | Season 3 Episode 12: “Par Avion”
Josh Wigler (@roundhoward) and Mike Bloom (@AMikeBloomType) are fishing for birds. Does one fish for birds? Either way, they’re caught in the net known as “Par Avion,” the final Claire Littleton flashback episode on LOST.
In “Par Avion,” Claire decides to rescue the gang with the help of some winged friends. But her non-winged friends Charlie and Desmond have other plans in mind. In the past, we learn about Claire’s father, and elsewhere on the island, the sonar pings strike back.
About Down the Hatch …
LOST: Down the Hatch is a full-tilt spoiler-filled rewatch of LOST. Every week, Josh and Mike break down an episode of LOST with the benefit of knowing the series’ full trajectory, using the following structure as a guide:
- We Go “Fourth” – Josh and Mike begin each podcast with a deep-dive into the story both in front of and behind the camera, and they do so with the assistance of eight sound clips from each episode.
- The Others – Josh and Mike answer questions sent their way by listeners through the official e-mail address: [email protected]
- 23 Points – Each week, Josh and Mike hand out points for the best and worst characters of the episode in question, in a foolhardy attempt to determine the most and least valuable players in the LOST pantheon.
- 4.2 Stars – Josh and Mike rank every episode of LOST, by rating them all on a scale from 0 – 4.2. Josh and Mike offer their individual scores, listeners’ scores will be averaged as a third data point, then the three points combine as the podcast’s official score on each episode.
Additional reading/listening/viewing from the podcast:
- Support Post Show Recaps through Patreon
- The LOST: Down the Hatch Wikipedia Page
- Josh’s LOST Episode Rankings on The Hollywood Reporter
- Javier Grillo Marxuach’s Lost Will and Testament
- Jim Fels music analysis
The 2/3 MVP/LVP Points For Season 3:
The Marshal: 1
Richard Alpert: 1
Aunt Lindsay: -1
Ms. Klugh: -1
Lynn Karnoff: -1
David Reyes: -1
Roger Linus: -1
The Others: -1
Red Shoes: -1
Law + Order: -1
Polar Bears: -1
Tricia Tanaka: -2
The 4.2 Star Episode Rankings For Season 3:
- Flashes Before Your Eyes – 4.16
- The Cost of Living – 3.94
- Tricia Tanaka is Dead – 3.92
- A Tale of Two Cities – 3.83
- Not in Portland – 3.76
- Enter 77 – 3.68
- I Do – 3.46
- Par Avion – 3.21
- Every Man For Himself – 3.14
- The Glass Ballerina – 3.02
- Further Instructions – 2.48
- Stranger in a Strange Land – 1.85
Mike Bloom’s 4.2 Star Episode Ranking Rubrik
4.2 – Perfect episode of LOST. Firing on all cylinders, no real weak points
4.0-4.1 – Near-perfect episode of LOST. Has one or two minor things that are meh or weak.
3.7-3.9 – Awesome episode of LOST. Has one or two major things that are meh or weak.
3.3-3.6 – Great episode of LOST. Many great elements, but not enough to put it in the top tier
3.0-3.2 – Good episode of LOST. More good than bad, but not a lot of outstanding moments
2.5-2.9 – Below average episode of LOST. Has a few redeeming moments, but a lot of misses as well
2.0-2.4 – Dud episode of LOST. The good stuff is few and far between
< 2.0 – Bad episode of LOST. Nearly all of it doesn’t work
Josh Wigler’s 4.2 Star Episode Ranking Rubrik
Insert question mark here.
Get lost in more LOST coverage:
Or subscribe with your favorite app by using the address below