Lost: Down the Hatch | Season 6 Premiere: ‘LA X’
In “LA X,” LOST introduces the “flash sideways,” a controversial narrative device that populates the entire final season of the series. Is this an alternate reality? Something else? Turns out … yeah, let’s go with “something else.” Josh and Mike break down the thematic implications of the sideways universe, discuss the on-island actions of Jack and the Man in Black’s respective groups, and groan audibly and extensively about the disappointing Temple.
About Down the Hatch …
LOST: Down the Hatch is a full-tilt spoiler-filled rewatch of LOST. Every week, Josh and Mike break down an episode of LOST with the benefit of knowing the series’ full trajectory, using the following structure as a guide:
• We Go “Fourth” – Josh and Mike begin each podcast with a deep-dive into the story both in front of and behind the camera, and they do so with the assistance of eight sound clips from each episode.
• The Others – Josh and Mike answer questions sent their way by listeners through the official e-mail address: [email protected]
• 23 Points – Each week, Josh and Mike hand out points for the best and worst characters of the episode in question, in a foolhardy attempt to determine the most and least valuable players in the LOST pantheon.
• 4.2 Stars – Josh and Mike rank every episode of LOST, by rating them all on a scale from 0 – 4.2. Josh and Mike offer their individual scores, listeners’ scores will be averaged as a third data point, then the three points combine as the podcast’s official score on each episode.
Additional reading/listening/viewing from the podcast:
• Support Post Show Recaps through Patreon
• The LOST: Down the Hatch Wikipedia Page
• Josh’s LOST Episode Rankings on The Hollywood Reporter
• Javier Grillo Marxuach’s Lost Will and Testament
• Jim Fels music analysis
The 23 MVP/LVP Points for Season 6
John Locke: 2
The 4.2 Star Episode Rankings for Season 6:
LA X – 3.76
Across the Sea – 2.38