Lovecraft Country | Episode 1 Recap: “Sundown”
Kevin Mahadeo (@KevMahadeo) and LaTonya Starks (@lkstarks) are joined by guest host Mike Bloom (@AMikeBloomType) to chase the sun as they discuss the home run of a premiere episode for Lovecraft County.
With usual host Josh Wigler (@roundhoward) missing, Mike gets behind the wheel to guide the trio through a conversation about “Sundown,” the jam-packed pilot of the new HBO horror series. They break down the introduction of the main cast that fills out Chicago and beyond, the thematic elements in everything realistic and supernatural, and what they expect to come from the episodes to follow.
Send us your feedback at [email protected]. Podcasts will post on Thursdays following the episodes.
This podcast contains conversations about sensitive subject matter. Listener discretion is advised.
About Lovecraft Country …
HBO’s Lovecraft Country follows Atticus Freeman (Jonathan Majors), who is on the hunt for his missing father. Joined by his childhood friend Letitia Lewis (Jurnee Smollett) and uncle George Freeman (Courtney B. Vance), they travel throughout the country in the time of Jim Crow. They struggle to survive and overcome not only the racist terrors of white America, but also terrifying monsters that could be ripped from a Lovecraft paperback. Aunjanue Ellis, Wunmi Mosaku, Abbey Lee, Jamie Chung, Jada Harris, and Michael K. Williams also star.
Links from the show:
- “Lovecraft Country Radio,” HBO’s official companion podcast hosted by Ashley C. Ford and Shannon Houston
- “‘Lovecraft Country’ Score Features First Use of an ‘Online Orchestra’ for an Entire Series”
- More information about the “Great Migration”
- “Baldwin vs. Buckley: A Debate We Shouldn’t Need, As Important As Ever”
- “How ‘Lovecraft Country’ Premiere Paid Homage to Gordon Parks’ ‘Segregation Story'”