LOST: Down the Hatch | Season 1, Episode 6: “House of the Rising Sun”
In the latest Down the Hatch, Josh and Mike stop down to discuss two characters who have gone largely ignored up until this point: Sun and Jin Kwon, played by Yunjin Kim and Daniel Dae Kim, respectively. In the early going of LOST, these two characters were presented as outsiders to the rest of the Oceanic 815 survivors, with only Sun truly endearing herself to the great community in the course of the ABC drama’s first year. How did these characters leap from the sidelines into becoming major players in the greater mythology? Josh and Mike begin to drill down into these questions and these characters, and how they emerged as two of Bloom’s very favorite LOST players in the cast.
A refresher on the plot of “House of the Rising Sun” …
Meanwhile, further into the island, Jack (Matthew Fox) leads Kate (Evangeline Lilly), Locke (Terry O’Quinn) and Charlie (Dominic Monaghan) to the caves, which turns out to not only provide a source of fresh water, but also houses a pair of skeletons: Adam and Eve — two characters who will come to have much more specific identities (if not names) much later in the series. Jack decides the caves are a viable shelter for the greater group, causing division within the camp, and specifically between himself and Kate. Meanwhile, Locke and Charlie are drawn together by music and faith, setting the stage for the next installment, “The Moth.”
About Down the Hatch …
LOST: Down the Hatch is a full-tilt spoiler-filled rewatch of LOST. Every week, Josh and Mike break down an episode of LOST with the benefit of knowing the series’ full trajectory, using the following structure as a guide:
- We Go “Fourth” – Josh and Mike begin each podcast with a deep-dive into the story both in front of and behind the camera, and they do so with the assistance of…
- 8 Sounds – The events of LOST pop right off the camera and straight into your ears with eight memorable moments replayed on the podcast, helping us guide through the story;
- 15/16 Others – Josh and Mike answer questions and comments sent their way through the official e-mail address: [email protected]
- 23 Points – Each week, Josh and Mike hand out points for the best and worst characters of the episode in question, in a foolhardy attempt to determine the most and least valuable players in the LOST pantheon.
- 4.2 Stars – Josh and Mike will attempt to create an official Down the Hatch rankin
g of every episode of LOST, by rating them all on a scale from 0 – 4.2. Josh and Mike will offer their individual scores, listeners’ scores will be averaged as a third data point, then the three points will be combined for the podcast’s official score on each episode.
Each episode of Down the Hatch clocks in at no less than 108 minutes. If the podcast falls short of that runtime, Josh and Mike have triggered a crisis! Consequences may (and almost certainly will) ensue thanks to the Frozen Donkey Wheel.
Additional reading/listening/viewing from the podcast:
Josh and Mike’s previous “Kwon Cast” (Lost Lives)
Actors Explore Korean Heritage in Lost (Star Bulletin)
Daniel Dae Kim on Early Lost Concerns (The Hollywood Reporter)
Daniel Dae Kim Gets Lost (Asia Society)
The Lost Will and Testament (Javier Grillo Marxuach)
- Did Obama really ask about Adam and Eve? (Dark UFO)